I'm sure I'm not the first....
...to gripe about grammar and spelling. But, people, I need to VENT!!! Ok, I'm a geek (and, yes, I'm aware of how pompous and nitpicky this entry sounds) but isn't it better to rant generally instead of correcting individual people on message boards? See, I'm a nice person. :D
My "Top Five List" of grammatical/spelling errors I've noticed since regularly posting to message boards (all definitions courtesy of Dictionary.com...just to ensure that I don't mess up). These are in no particular order (because each bugs me equally):
To/Two/Too
To = In a direction toward so as to reach: "went to the city".
Two = The cardinal number equal to the sum of 1 + 1.
Too = In addition; also: He's coming along too. OR More than enough; excessively: She worries too much. OR To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent. OR Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
Your/You're
Your = adj. The possessive form of you. (added by me: i.e. belonging to you)
You're = Contraction of you are.
Lose/Loose
Lose = To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.
Loose = Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks. OR Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.
They're/Their/There
They're = Contraction of they are.
Their = The possessive form of they. Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
There = At or in that place: sit over there. OR At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
Do/Due
Do = To perform or execute: "do one's assigned task"; "do a series of business deals".
Due = Owed as a debt; "owing: the amount still due".
Doo = What I stepped in this morning on the way to my car (ok, that one is NOT from dictionary.com...couldn't resist. Just seeing if you're still paying attention.)
More TO come........
Now I'll just sit back and wait for comments correcting me on errors in this post! I'm sure I deserve it! :D
Yeah, right! As if ANYONE is actually reading this! Get over yourself! Only child syndrome.
My "Top Five List" of grammatical/spelling errors I've noticed since regularly posting to message boards (all definitions courtesy of Dictionary.com...just to ensure that I don't mess up). These are in no particular order (because each bugs me equally):
To/Two/Too
To = In a direction toward so as to reach: "went to the city".
Two = The cardinal number equal to the sum of 1 + 1.
Too = In addition; also: He's coming along too. OR More than enough; excessively: She worries too much. OR To a regrettable degree: My error was all too apparent. OR Very; extremely; immensely: He's only too willing to be of service.
Your/You're
Your = adj. The possessive form of you. (added by me: i.e. belonging to you)
You're = Contraction of you are.
Lose/Loose
Lose = To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay: He's always losing his car keys.
Loose = Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks. OR Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets.
They're/Their/There
They're = Contraction of they are.
Their = The possessive form of they. Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
There = At or in that place: sit over there. OR At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
Do/Due
Do = To perform or execute: "do one's assigned task"; "do a series of business deals".
Due = Owed as a debt; "owing: the amount still due".
Doo = What I stepped in this morning on the way to my car (ok, that one is NOT from dictionary.com...couldn't resist. Just seeing if you're still paying attention.)
More TO come........
Now I'll just sit back and wait for comments correcting me on errors in this post! I'm sure I deserve it! :D
Yeah, right! As if ANYONE is actually reading this! Get over yourself! Only child syndrome.


3 Comments:
My big gripe is the overuse of the apostrophe. I'm not just talking about its/it's, but in other circumstances, as well.
"most taco lover's agree..." type stuff. Just bugs me. grrr
Oh YEAH! That one too! See, I knew I'd have some to add to the list. Bring 'em on!
All right, here you go:
Regardless - acceptable
Irregardless - stupid.
They mean the same thing, but grammatically they're supposed to mean the opposite of each other.
It'd be like making responsible and irresponsible mean the same thing.
Granted, this is just my own take on it, but I can't stand "irregardless"
Post a Comment
<< Home