$aving a Few Buck$
I know so many people who excel at DIY projects. Sewing, home improvements, car repair, whatever. The below story illustrates why I am not in the same league as these people. I'm not fit to wipe their boots.
I've self-dyed my hair in the past without tragic results. Well, except for that time when I was 14 and thought peroxide would work a lot faster than Sun-In. For those who have never tried this experiment, medium brown hair turns this color when you use peroxide. Not blond. Not blond at all. Kind of a light tangerine.
I think it was sometime last year when I realized my roots were growing out and I needed new highlights in my hair. Despite my lack of DIY abilities, I was expecting this attempt to be pretty routine. Especially with those new "exclusive applicator combs"...how could I go wrong? *sigh* I wish I had pictures to share (well....strike that). Anyway, you can't go a day without seeing one of those commercials for the new highlight kits. I quote, from Revlon's site (emphasis mine): "An exclusive applicator comb that regulates the right amount of color every time—so you get salon-style highlights from root to tip. Fast. Easy. Beautiful." Foil highlights at the salon are exorbitant, and I was very short of cash. So off I went to the store.
FAST. Yep, I'll give them that. Didn't take more than two hours. Revlon, you may keep that word in your ad.
EASY. Sure seemed like it. Funky little applicator comb....just brush it on and it regulates the right amount of color every time. Cut to me looking in the mirror shortly after washing out the formula. The person looking back at me had this color hair on the top 1/3 and this color hair on the bottom 2/3.
BEAUTIFUL. If you are partial to skunks....or Frankenstein's bride.
Panic sets in. It is midnight and I must be in work at 8:00am the next day. My commute is an hour. I can't possibly go to an office job looking like a can of Sherwin-Williams fell on my head.
Ok, alarm set for 6:00am. Yes, I realize that's cutting it close, but the supermarket will not be open until then. Let's just pray they carry haircolor. They do. Pick a medium/dark brown. Fly home. Directions? What directions? No time. Slop it on. Wait 20 minutes or so. Jump in the shower and get rid of it.
The result? Almost brown in most parts. Careful application of hairspray should hide the parts underneath that are still this color.
Go to work. No one notices (whew!). Call the salon. Embarassingly relay the story and make an appointment.
The tally:
Highlight Kit $10.00
Brown Hair Color $8.00
Salon Color Fix $45.00
Salon Highlights $75.00
Tip to Colorist $20.00
GRAND TOTAL $158.00
I've self-dyed my hair in the past without tragic results. Well, except for that time when I was 14 and thought peroxide would work a lot faster than Sun-In. For those who have never tried this experiment, medium brown hair turns this color when you use peroxide. Not blond. Not blond at all. Kind of a light tangerine.
I think it was sometime last year when I realized my roots were growing out and I needed new highlights in my hair. Despite my lack of DIY abilities, I was expecting this attempt to be pretty routine. Especially with those new "exclusive applicator combs"...how could I go wrong? *sigh* I wish I had pictures to share (well....strike that). Anyway, you can't go a day without seeing one of those commercials for the new highlight kits. I quote, from Revlon's site (emphasis mine): "An exclusive applicator comb that regulates the right amount of color every time—so you get salon-style highlights from root to tip. Fast. Easy. Beautiful." Foil highlights at the salon are exorbitant, and I was very short of cash. So off I went to the store.
FAST. Yep, I'll give them that. Didn't take more than two hours. Revlon, you may keep that word in your ad.
EASY. Sure seemed like it. Funky little applicator comb....just brush it on and it regulates the right amount of color every time. Cut to me looking in the mirror shortly after washing out the formula. The person looking back at me had this color hair on the top 1/3 and this color hair on the bottom 2/3.
BEAUTIFUL. If you are partial to skunks....or Frankenstein's bride.
Panic sets in. It is midnight and I must be in work at 8:00am the next day. My commute is an hour. I can't possibly go to an office job looking like a can of Sherwin-Williams fell on my head.
Ok, alarm set for 6:00am. Yes, I realize that's cutting it close, but the supermarket will not be open until then. Let's just pray they carry haircolor. They do. Pick a medium/dark brown. Fly home. Directions? What directions? No time. Slop it on. Wait 20 minutes or so. Jump in the shower and get rid of it.
The result? Almost brown in most parts. Careful application of hairspray should hide the parts underneath that are still this color.
Go to work. No one notices (whew!). Call the salon. Embarassingly relay the story and make an appointment.
The tally:
Highlight Kit $10.00
Brown Hair Color $8.00
Salon Color Fix $45.00
Salon Highlights $75.00
Tip to Colorist $20.00
GRAND TOTAL $158.00


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home