Everybody's Doing It
ALERT!!On a message board I frequent, I responded to a post with the following title: "Anyone a Virgin Until Married?". I responded because (and I'm aware this is far too much information) my husband and I actually were. Shocking, isn't it?
My rant is the fact that it IS shocking. When did this become the exception rather than the norm? Why is it that even the most conservative people in today's society deem it socially acceptable to have sex out of wedlock? People look at you like you have two heads if you tell them that you intend to raise your children in the mindset of "abstinence until marriage". When adults (even teenagers) date, it is implied that you will eventually sleep together...usually after a few months or weeks (and I could be way out of touch...maybe it's a matter of days now....hours?).
Don't get me wrong. I am not judging those who disagree. Honestly I'm not. I just live my life differently and I'm trying to figure out how this all happened. Growing up I remember how scandalous shows like Three's Company were. It's laughable to watch it now and think that it was once taboo to so many.
By far my biggest concern is how to keep this from affecting my boys, since they will probably have to attend public school. I heard on the radio this week that some schools are having "condom races" to determine who can put one on a cucumber the fastest. Jaw agape. You've got to be kidding me. And my hard-earned money is going to fund this as a taxpayer?
/rant


2 Comments:
I'd like to share with you and your friends an article that appeared on August 25, 2002 in the Honolulu Advertiser. One of the women in the article is a childhood friend of mine. I hope, in a small way, this helps you get your message across. Aloha!
Thanks, BD. I'm happy to know that there actually are others out there who find this important!
Post a Comment
<< Home