Getting Rid of Car Payments
This is a true story.
A few years ago we bought a brand new Jeep Cherokee. We bought it during a time that we actually had money to spare. That state of being soon became history and we found ourselves with a car payment that was too daunting. We thought of trading it in, but realized that the amount we'd get from selling it wouldn't even cover the loan. I'm sure that's a familiar story.
So I came up with a solution. I said to J (my husband): "What we need is for me to get into an accident, where no one gets hurt, where it's not my fault and which totals the car". Sounds like a tall order, huh?
A month later, I was driving to work and was passing a side road where I had the right of way (they had a STOP sign, I didn't). I saw the driver pulling out and was incredulous that she didn't seem to be stopping. I sped up a little to try to avoid being hit, but she nailed me in the left rear fender, causing me to spin out of control and end up flipped over in a ditch. It was frightening because the wheels kept spinning for about a minute and then stopped. I sat in shock until a man came to my window and told me to get out of the car. I said I was scared the car would flip again but he assured me it wouldn't so I dutifully obeyed (why I was so compliant, I'll never know...must have been the shock). I climbed out the back and realized I was perfectly fine. Not a scratch on me (can't say the same for the Jeep).
Accident a
Not My Fault a
No One Injureda
Car Totaled a
They say "careful what you wish for" but in this case I almost wish I had wished for more!
Now, we have this rotted tree in our backyard, which happens to be right next to our dilapidated shed. Let's say a lightening bolt hit the tree just so......
A few years ago we bought a brand new Jeep Cherokee. We bought it during a time that we actually had money to spare. That state of being soon became history and we found ourselves with a car payment that was too daunting. We thought of trading it in, but realized that the amount we'd get from selling it wouldn't even cover the loan. I'm sure that's a familiar story.
So I came up with a solution. I said to J (my husband): "What we need is for me to get into an accident, where no one gets hurt, where it's not my fault and which totals the car". Sounds like a tall order, huh?
A month later, I was driving to work and was passing a side road where I had the right of way (they had a STOP sign, I didn't). I saw the driver pulling out and was incredulous that she didn't seem to be stopping. I sped up a little to try to avoid being hit, but she nailed me in the left rear fender, causing me to spin out of control and end up flipped over in a ditch. It was frightening because the wheels kept spinning for about a minute and then stopped. I sat in shock until a man came to my window and told me to get out of the car. I said I was scared the car would flip again but he assured me it wouldn't so I dutifully obeyed (why I was so compliant, I'll never know...must have been the shock). I climbed out the back and realized I was perfectly fine. Not a scratch on me (can't say the same for the Jeep).
Accident a
Not My Fault a
No One Injureda
Car Totaled a
They say "careful what you wish for" but in this case I almost wish I had wished for more!
Now, we have this rotted tree in our backyard, which happens to be right next to our dilapidated shed. Let's say a lightening bolt hit the tree just so......


1 Comments:
LOL Beth, You share your stories so well! I really could have used you for the Kia, darnit. Spring is coming so you may just get your wish about the shed!!
Post a Comment
<< Home