Discontinued Limbo
The story of my life. I finally find a unique product or scent that suits me and they yank it off the shelves, into oblivion. I can't believe I'm the only one this happens to, but I swear it happens to me far more often.
What happens to these products after they are pulled? The companies won't tell me....I've asked. I can't believe that they just throw them all out? It's almost impossible to even find them on Ebay. Does anyone know where they go? Here are some examples:
The Gap "Earth" scent. I actually can't say enough about The Gap's customer service. When they first removed this scent from the stores, I wrote them a letter asking if it would be returning at some point. They replied that they weren't sure if it would ever be back, but included with their letter a candle and a bar of soap in that scent. THAT is how you do business. So kudos to The Gap.
Williams-Sonoma kitchen soaps, etc. (original scents, not the "essential oil" collection they have now) - especially Rosemary scent and Lemon Zest. I wrote the company and they basically told me I was SOL if I didn't like their new products (which were also more expensive and half the size).
Ban Anti-Perspirant Ocean Breeze scent - my favorite of all time. I wrote to Clairol, who I thought owned Ban, but never received any form of response. I've never even seen it on Ebay....but then who auctions off deodorant? (Oh wait, I guess anything is game on a site that has bidders on a grilled cheese with an image of the Virgin Mary).
Stouffers Creamed Chicken - ok, this one may be tougher, since food has an expiration date. It was so good, though.
Seriously, does anyone know what becomes of non-perishable discontinued items?
What happens to these products after they are pulled? The companies won't tell me....I've asked. I can't believe that they just throw them all out? It's almost impossible to even find them on Ebay. Does anyone know where they go? Here are some examples:
The Gap "Earth" scent. I actually can't say enough about The Gap's customer service. When they first removed this scent from the stores, I wrote them a letter asking if it would be returning at some point. They replied that they weren't sure if it would ever be back, but included with their letter a candle and a bar of soap in that scent. THAT is how you do business. So kudos to The Gap.
Williams-Sonoma kitchen soaps, etc. (original scents, not the "essential oil" collection they have now) - especially Rosemary scent and Lemon Zest. I wrote the company and they basically told me I was SOL if I didn't like their new products (which were also more expensive and half the size).
Ban Anti-Perspirant Ocean Breeze scent - my favorite of all time. I wrote to Clairol, who I thought owned Ban, but never received any form of response. I've never even seen it on Ebay....but then who auctions off deodorant? (Oh wait, I guess anything is game on a site that has bidders on a grilled cheese with an image of the Virgin Mary).
Stouffers Creamed Chicken - ok, this one may be tougher, since food has an expiration date. It was so good, though.
Seriously, does anyone know what becomes of non-perishable discontinued items?


5 Comments:
stumbled on your blog and thought it was great. the pics of your boys are adorable!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This happens to me with food items all the time. I'm a vegetarian who hates to cook, so I rely quite often on frozen dinners and specialty items. Every time I try something and really like it, it disappears from the grocery store. I have tried filling out the store's special request forms and usually am told the company just isn't offering that product any more.
Sorry I can't help with the non-perishable items either.
As far as reading materials go, my wife (http://onestepsideways.blogspot.com) is a fan of Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes (both Irish women), Tom Robbins (Another Roadside Attraction, Still Life With Woodpecker), and Tad Williams (fantasy-type stories).
I have different taste in books and like Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, and Stick were two favorites), David L. Robbins (WW2 books like War of the Rats and Last Citadel).
#1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith is a great read. It's not my usual fare but it was nice light reading. I also love anything by Barbara Michaels or Elizabeth Peters (who are the same person)
Post a Comment
<< Home