The Boy Who Would Not Count
Ok, is this a normal 3-year-old thing? My husband and I have been pretty diligent about teaching our toddler his numbers and letters. Add to that a mother-in-law who is a school teacher and his usual babysitter. But every time we try to go over the basics, in a fun way, mind you, he says "I all done". *sigh*
So we figure he doesn't know them...and has no interest in learning them...until the day my husband "caught" him counting (almost perfectly). Busted. Then, the other day, I had a friend visiting and I got a phone call. While I was on the phone, my friend asked my son to say the alphabet...and I could hear him in the background doing it...almost perfectly.
What is up with that? Why won't he do it for us? And will his future teachers be able to get it out of him? Will they have to "catch" him doing addition or reading Dick and Jane?
So we figure he doesn't know them...and has no interest in learning them...until the day my husband "caught" him counting (almost perfectly). Busted. Then, the other day, I had a friend visiting and I got a phone call. While I was on the phone, my friend asked my son to say the alphabet...and I could hear him in the background doing it...almost perfectly.
What is up with that? Why won't he do it for us? And will his future teachers be able to get it out of him? Will they have to "catch" him doing addition or reading Dick and Jane?


1 Comments:
It's not just you; my middle child wouldn't say the alphabet for us for anything, but would do it for the folks at daycare. She also can write her name, but wouldn't do it for us; just grandma, and the people at daycare. Once she was confident, or realized we'd shower her with affection for doing it, she started writing her name all the time.
Post a Comment
<< Home